My idea of the perfect cookie is crunchy on the outside, soft & chewy on the inside, without being high on calories. When I found a recipe that promised me all of those things, I knew I just had to make it.
Um, how yum does that look? I know you guys want the secret to that goodness up there.. so here’s the recipe!
- Parchment paper
- 2 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Position racks on the top and bottom third of the oven. Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Finely chop walnuts. Transfer to another baking sheet and toast for about 9 minutes (or until fragrant). Let cool.
3. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Stir in walnuts. Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat until mixture is moist — but be careful not to overbeat.. otherwise, the mixture will become too stiff.
4. Drop dough on the baking sheets by the teaspoonful. Make sure that they’re evenly spaced. Bake until cookies are glossy and the tops are lightly cracked (about 15 minutes). Repeat with the remaining batter.
This recipe will make about 60 cookies. I ended up half-ing the recipe and baked the cookies for about 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbeat the batter or over-bake it — I did this for one of my batches and the cookies, though still tasty, were chewy in a hard-to-eat-kind-of-getting-stuck-in-my-teeth kind of way.
These cookies are a great snack pre and post workout.. after a meal.. while you’re watching one of your fav ABC Family shows.. so basically, any time!
Oh and just something to make these cookies even more awesome: they’re only 55 calories per cookie!