I’m not a cake person. Don’t get me wrong — I’ll never turn down a slice and I’ll always eat a few bites when I’m out with friends, at weddings, and at birthdays but I never crave it nor do I gravitate towards bookmarking cake recipes. But for some reason, a few days ago, while looking at my container of Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa, I saw a recipe for “Especially Dark” Chocolate Cake that just really called to me. Thankfully, almost all the ingredients were already in the kitsch, so my general laziness (and distaste for buying obscure ingredients I’ll never use again) wouldn’t stop this cake from happenin’.
The result? Delicious. Divine. Dark. But don’t just take my word for it and let the picture speak for itself:
Now that I’ve got your attention, here’s the recipe:
For the cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 min or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 min; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
For the frosting:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- Melt the butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. (**can add small amts of milk if needed)
- Makes about 2 cups.
Although I’m not the biggest frosting person, I still made the frosting out of sheer curiosity. I only frosted one of the cakes just in case the end result would end up being way too sweet. Coming from someone who usually scrapes every bit of frosting off any cake I eat, this frosting was just right — it perfectly complemented the cake and didn’t distract from the cake itself.
Definitely recommend for any chocolate-cake-aholics out there!!
Source: On the back of the Hershey’s Dark Cocoa packaging (but also available here!)