I love Trader Joe’s. I find every food-related thing I want or didn’t even know I want there. It’s all sorts of awesome.
When I went there the other day trying to solve my what-do-I-eat-for-dinners dilemma, I found my answer. Not in the veggie aisle. Not in the meat department. But in the frozen meals section. I usually do not do frozen meals. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve had frozen meals.
But TJ’s frozen meals just looked way too good to be true. Korean food? Check. Japanese food? Check. Flatbreads? Check, check, check!
After looking at the nutritional labels, the calorie count and sodium content seemed to be kept in check for most of them so how could I not buy some?
The past two nights have been marked with great laziness, lack of food, and a pretty great desire to finally dive into my frozen meals. The first night I tried the Trader Joe’s Bibimbap Bowl.
Yep, a fried egg. Yummy!
Verdict: Not too bad for a frozen meal. The meat and veggies tasted fairly fresh (for a frozen meal) but I could’ve used more of each and less rice. If you get one of these, definitely add the fried egg. I say, go big or go home!
The next night, I thought I’d continue the Asian frozen meal theme and go for the Trader Joe Sans Rice and Vegetable Bento Box.
Okay bear with me as I describe each one and my rating (1-5, 5 being super yummy). Starting from the top left hand box to the bottom right hand box:
1. Pumpkin with Shiso Seasoning – 3; but keep in mind, I’m not a pumpkin person
2. Spicy Long Beans – 2; as I feared, these were lanky and quasi-mushy. I only ate a couple before I declared it a fail.
3. Eggplant with Miso Paste – 1; way too mushy and I couldn’t even taste the Miso Paste
4. Soba Salad with Oyster Mushroom – 5; did I ever mention I heart soba?!
5. Shiitake Mushroom with Carrot and Edamame – 4; self-explanatory.
6. Baked Tofu with Teriyaki Sauce – 4; how have I never baked tofu before? Amaze-balls my friends!
7. Brown Rice with Seaweed and Sesame Seed – 3; just tasted like reg ole brown rice.
8. Curry Flavored Brown Rice – 3; a hint of curry but really it was just yellow brown rice
9. Teriyaki Flavored Brown Rice with Vegetable – 3; also just tasted like brown rice
Verdict: Also not bad for a frozen meal and it was relatively filling, even if I skipped out on 2/9 of the bento box. Would’ve loved more flavor and maybe a separate Soba Salad with Mushroom frozen meal. How awesome would that be?!
I think tonight and tomorrow night will be TJ’s flatbread night so tune in for those reviews!